Group F/1

Applying the Group F/64 philosophies to the other end of the aperture ring.

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Depth and Light

Exploring even further the concept of using shallow depth-of-focus and common photography lighting techniques, I came up with the idea of practicing different lighting angles last night. I also have wanted to try out different lighting angles with one flash without blinding someone. So, I noticed that my wife had put the statue of Our Lady we bought for our joint Christmas present shortly after we were first married on the bookshelf in our living room, and so I used her as my subject.

Since I still had my PK-13 attached to my 50mm f/1.4 and my D1H, and I thought this would make for some interesting study. See, the total size of the frame I was working with here was about 3" by 3" give or take a few millimeters. Obviously my typing paper snoot would light the heck out of the whole thing, so I needed some much narrower light. So, I grabbed my ball-bungeed-to-hold-the-batteries-in SB-28 (attached via SC-17, since I don't have my radio remotes yet) and rubber-banded the DIY grid spot snoot to REALLY control where the light was landing on each shot. It was a little tricky getting what I wanted in focus (since I wasn't using a tripod and I was working in the extreme macro world) and moving the flash so it would light the part of the statue I wanted to light with the shot. It almost felt like I was a marionette dancer standing there in front of the bookshelf with my SB-28 and my D1H, with the SC-17 as my string.

I took the liberty to give some different tonality, too, to these images because I thought it explored a different mood to the scenes. Here are the results -- I love how the depth is extremely exaggerated by the limited focus combined with the lighting. And, the master craftsman who carved this resin statue has just done an amazing job with the details:









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home