Group F/1

Applying the Group F/64 philosophies to the other end of the aperture ring.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

A new lens for Group F/1

I've been considering a few options for lenses that would work well within the principles of Group F/1 philosophy. I wanted something a little wider than the 50mm f/1.4 that I've been using. Obviously, the 28mm f/1.4 AF Nikkor would be one to try out, but I don't have $3-4 grand laying around. I've considered the Sigma fast primes, but have a bias against anything Sigma -- and the quality amongst the various samples of even these lenses has been reported as suspect.

I had the opportunity to buy a new-to-me camera last week, and along with that camera I settled on the 35mm f/2 Nikkor AF-D. It's PERFECT:

Freshly Foliaged Japanese Maple 1

Freshly Foliaged Japanese Maple 2

Daffodils blooming late

White & Pink Rhodedendrons 2

It's not TOO pricey these days -- around $300 or less. About the same price, really, as a 50mm F/1.4 AF. On a 1.5X body, it equates to about a 50mm on film and full-frame digital. I'm really falling in love with this lens...

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you shoot more wide openers... My new rig is 85mm f/1.4 and D700... Definitely love the extra step, but it's a tough lens to grown into.

4:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home